I know, I know. 10,000 steps a day to maintain your physical condition or 15,000 steps a day to lose weight and firm up sounds like a lot at first, but strap on a pedometer and go about your day and you’d be surprised how many steps you actually take even when you’re not trying.
- Hand deliver office memos or walk down the hall to a co-worker’s office.
- Take a lover’s walk, in the park, even if it’s raining.
- Take the stairs – even if this means you need to get off the elevator a few floors early.
- Walk up the escalator in malls and subways.
- Park farther from the office, the grocery store, or the shopping mall.
- Walk the kids to school instead of driving them.
- Take the dog for a walk instead of just letting him outside the back door.
- Take your designated breaks at work and walk around the building or city block as many times as time allows.
- Do your grocery shopping in the order you have items listed, instead of going aisle-by-aisle.
- Take the kids to the park and either run around with them or walk laps around the play area while they play on the swings and slides.
By adding steps to your day you are essentially increasing your level of fitness and burning more calories. Every little bit moves you closer to your goal whether it be a fitness goal or a weight loss goal.
The American Medical Association states that by increasing activity, you will also:
- Increase stamina.
- Stimulate weight loss.
- Lower blood cholesterol.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Improve self image.
- Improve mood.
- Enhance quality of life.
And it that’s not enough to get you moving more with your pedometer, the AMA also says you will:
- Sleep better.
- Strengthen your heart and lungs.
- Decrease stress levels and the effects of stress.
- Increase your energy.
- Maintain appropriate weight.
- Lower triglycerides.
- Control blood sugar levels (and risks of diabetes).
- Feel better.
- Reduce feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Improve productivity in all areas of your life.
- Build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints.
- Increase muscle tone.
- Reduce risk of dying prematurely.
Really? It’s a win/win situation. A pedometer strapped onto your waist inspiring you to move around more often and in no time you’ll be looking better, feeling better, plus all the benefits above.
Your new life begins today! A healthier, longer, and no doubt happier, life!